June 26, 2023 - More than a dozen students in Comal ISD qualified for the UIL Academic State Meet this year in various contests including science, spelling, number sense, copy editing, literary criticism, poetry, ready writing and computer science.
These state qualifiers were recognized by the Comal ISD Board of Trustees on June 22.
UIL Academic State Qualifiers
- Computer Science: Joshua Butler from Smithson Valley High School
- Copy Editing: Emma Siebold from SVHS and Lillian Vickers and Hill Country College Preparatory High School
- Extemporaneous Informative Speaking: Margaret Brooks, Everrett Garrett and Noel Vasquez from Memorial Early College High School
- Feature Writing: Alex Whelchel from SVHS
- Lincoln Douglas Debate: Dakota Fisher from MECHS and Rowen Hamilton from SVHS
- Literary Criticism: Abigail Shultz from HCCPHS
- News Writing: Bethany Mann from SVHS
- Number Sense: Jay Mills from Davenport High School
- Poetry: Chloe Bankston from MECHS
- Prose: Jazel Moyer, state alternate, from MECHS
- Ready Writing: Jaela Bailey from MECHS
- Science: Grady Dobbs from Canyon High School
- Spelling: Natalia Campos from Canyon Lake High School
-Students who qualified for UIL State Academic Meet were recognized by the Comal ISD Board of Trustees on June 22.